Seasonal getaways in the hills countryside in Fredericksburg
Hit the road and enjoy the perfect Texas Hill Country destination – as summer turns to fall and the holiday season follows – on a weekend or midweek getaway to Fredericksburgwest of Austin and San Antonio.
With school already about to resume, there are still three distinct seasons of fun, excitement and things to see and do in Fredericksburg, in the heart of the Texas Hill Country, over the past five months of 2022.
Located four hours west of downtown Houston, Fredericksburg welcomes visitors with a relaxing getaway filled with unique and different happenings, happenings and entertainment throughout the year.
Seasonal events and entertainment through 2022
From late summer through vacation, Fredericksburg is the perfect jumping-off point for one or more Texas Hill Country getaways, from late summer harvest and grape stalking, to major fall festivals in outdoors and at the start of the holidays. season in its historic and charming town centre.
Texas Wine Country throughout August
In August, Texas Wine Country comes alive with the activities and bustle of the harvest season and the month ends with the longest continuous county fair in Texas – the Gillespie County Fairnow in its 134th year.
- Harvest Events and Experiences in Texas Wine Country – As summer draws to a close, the Hill Country’s harvest season kicks into high gear. This is your chance to partake in your very own grape stride at special public events at select wineries (literally “favorite grounds”, perhaps?), as well as other end-of-season tours, tastings, festivals and more at over 50 area wineries. . Learn more Where get free planning information.
- 134th Annual Gillespie County Fair – Texas’ Oldest County Fair returns with four days packed with events and entertainment for all ages from Thursday August 25 to Sunday August 28, 2022. Visitors are welcomed as locals to enjoy the wide range of activities, including the Gillespie County Fair Parade down Main Street (Friday, August 26, 2022 at 10 a.m.), a queen contest, carnival and midway games, fairer food than you can imagine, livestock judging, agricultural and household exhibits, arts and crafts, antique tractor displays, live music and dancing, live betting-mutual horse racing, and more. Learn more Where get free planning information.
September Labor Day long weekend
September is marked by the Labor Day long weekend, the unofficial end of the summer season with live music, shopping and lots of family activities. But the whole month is a great time to visit and explore the city’s parks, shops, museums, wineries (including festivals continue within the month), and more.
- Fredericksburg Labor Day Weekend – The last getaway week of the summer – Friday, September 2 through Labor Day, Monday, September 5, 2022 – is packed with fun and entertainment. Stride of grapes and other wine events postponed from August, but visitors can also take advantage of Fredericksburg’s always stellar shopping, art gallery receptions, tasty restaurants, historic museums and facilities, outdoor entertainment, and more. Learn more Where get free planning information.
- Midweek stays and weekend visits – The pillar of Fredericksburg attracts like the outside, to eat, live music, artand more remain a constant call in September. Visitors staying from Monday to Thursday find savings on lodging, more individualized attention at local shops and wineries, and more perks to be found when life moves at a slower speed. Learn more Where get free planning information.
Food and drink events in October
- Oktoberfest 2022 in Fredericksburg – Technical kickoff on Friday, September 30, 2022, the beloved of Fredericksburg Oktoberfest lasts all weekend until Sunday, October 2, 2022. Celebrating the region’s well-established German heritage, the three-day family-friendly event takes place on the city center’s Marktplatz, with five stages of continuous oompah music, arts, crafts, shopping, a kids’ area, 50 varieties of beer, Texas Wine Country selections, great food and fun, and more. Advance planning is an absolute must. Learn more Where get free planning information.
- 31st Annual Fredericksburg Food and Wine Festival – Texas’ OG food and wine event returns Saturday, October 28, 2022, showcasing Texas’ award-winning wines and the Hill Country’s impressive culinary scene. The Fredericksburg Food & Wine Fest also features made-in-Texas specialty partners, Texas gourmet chefs performing live demonstrations, live entertainment, a silent auction, and more. Get around fast and enjoy ticketed weekend dinner and brunch specials. Advance booking and planning is recommended. Learn more Where get free planning information.
Festive season in November and December
Once October is over, the arrival of November marks the start of Fredericksburg’s holiday season, which is especially known for its world-class holiday shopping, nighttime lighting countdown, and excellent festive entertainment.
Advantages, advantages and advantages of Mid-week visits
While a weekend getaway to Fredericksburg has unbroken appeal, repeat visitors often swear by the midweek sightseeing magic. Adding an element of fun and relaxation, midweek tours offer unique perks that are often harder to find on busy Fridays through Sundays in the popular Hill Country destination.
- Get the best prices on the best place to stay – Fredericksburg offers a wide variety of lodging options, including local boutique accommodations, national chain hotels, small inns, vacation rentals, bed and breakfasts, traditional bed and breakfasts, and more. All offer savings during the quieter weekdays, even during most peak weeks of the season. Explore accommodations in Fredericksburg Where access free planning information.
- Treat yourself to personalized experiences at local wineries – Located at the epicenter of Texas Wine Country, Fredericksburg is the best place to explore more than 50 wineries in the local county, as well as over 50 others across the Texas Hill Country. Award-winning wine producers have won accolades from around the world. And midweek visitors find that they are able to engage with winemakers on a deeper level, have longer discussions about varietals, and essentially have a more personalized and individual experience than he can be hard to find on a busier weekend visit. Learn about wineries in the Fredericksburg area Where access free planning information.
- Enjoy the relaxed pace while shopping – With good reason, shopping is one of the main reasons many visitors make the trip to Fredericksburg. Downtown is renowned for its stunning collection of home decor and women’s fashion ranging from vintage to high-end contemporary (it’s never too early to shop for Rodeo 2023 season, y’all). Plus, shoppers will discover handmade jewelry, antiques, artwork, gifts, and more. While shopping opportunities are strong every day of the year, midweek shoppers can take advantage of quieter stores to benefit from increased hands-on assistance, personal relationships with merchants, and higher chances of get local information.
Start planning now
Start planning your summer, fall or vacation getaway to the Texas Hill Country at Visit FredericksburgTX.com Where request free information for visitors. When you get to town, do it visitor center your first stop for additional tips, advice, and expert advice on getting the most out of your visit.
This article was sponsored by the event organizer. In accordance with our Advertising and Sponsorship Policy, we only accept sponsored content from organizations that meet our editorial standards and genuinely present an activity, event, resource or destination of value to residents and visitors of the greater Houston area. Ad revenue helps support 365 Things to Do in Houston and our contributors, allowing us to expand our coverage of activities and events in the Houston area. Learn more about promoting your event or business.